All band students will need:
- A complete, fully functioning instrument with a case
- Pencil (to be kept in their instrument case)
- Standard of Excellence, Book 1 (a classroom set will be made available for student use)
- Cleaning rod
- Cleaning swab
- Cork grease
- Reed case
- At least three working reeds at all times
- Valve oil
- Optional: mouthpiece brush & cleaning snake
Rehearsal Etiquette (50%)
Each day that students are in class they can earn up to 5 points for their participation based on the following:
- On time to music class. Students must be in their seats ready to play by the end of the song of the week.
- Prepared with instrument, music, and pencil. You will lose all participation points for the day if you do not have your instrument with you.
- Classroom behavior, participation, attitude, and care of facility.
In-Class Playing Tests (15%)
- Students will periodically play individual and group playing tests.
- Students will be graded on posture, notes, rhythm, dynamics, style, articulation, phrasing, and other concepts learned in class.
Practice Log Project (15%)
- Students will complete and turn in two practice logs per trimester.
- Logs must be signed by a parent/guardian for full credit.
Required Performance Attendance (20%)
- Attendance and participation at ALL mandatory performances.
- Grades will drop a full letter grade for each missed performance.
*There will be 1-2 performances this year, they will be announced as soon as the calendar is completed.
A = 94-100% C = 74-76%
A- = 90-93% C- = 70-73%
B+ = 87-89% D+ = 67-69%
B = 84-86% D = 64-66%
B- = 80-83% D- = 60-63%
C+ = 77-79% Anything below 60% is an F
Students who attend a musical event/concert outside of school can receive 5 extra credit points for bringing the program back with their name on it and a parent signature.
Students who attend a musical event/concert outside of school can receive 10 extra credit points for bringing back the program AND writing a paragraph about their experience at the event and what their thoughts were about the performance.
1. Be On Time
2. Have Your Materials
3. Do Your Best
“We are what we repeatedly do! Excellence then is not an act, but a habit!”